Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today

I hate other people's ear infections. A Lot. 

So: to distract myself from other peoples' agony, I made boeuf bourguignon. It took six hours, 3-4 of which required active cooking. It tasted like God pooped in my mouth (which of course tastes like braised onions and slow cooked browned beef). 

Dexter: ate the bread only.
Neville: "I think I'm the only kid in the family who likes meat"
Lewis: too full from his 800 previous snacks.

Today's lessons: don't cook fine french cuisine for children. they are jerks. Oh and when your kid's ear starts spurting blood, it's just a perforated ear drum. No big deal. Although visitors will find the blood stains on my pillows curious. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the fact that your husband loved it and thought it was awesome...and he ate everything those ungrateful wretches left behind, too.

Astrid Rose said...

Oh and the cat. I bet the cat like it too.

Anonymous said...

try the communist way:
1. no food outside mealtimes.
2. if food provided at mealtimes is rejected, no replacement food will be offered. it's it eat or go to bed hungry.
3. if child is found eating outside mealtimes, draconian punishment is in order.

Unknown said...

What was our old standby - toast - yummy

Astrid Rose said...

I never realized my way of parenting was Commie-style. Neat. (and Yikes!)

Anonymous said...

Kids have shitty tastebuds. It sounds like it was delicious! And 3-4 hours of intense cooking sounds like a vacation, are you sure the kids weren't in the other room shoving pencils in each others ears?

Astrid Rose said...

they were playing video games. I'm an awesome parent.

Heather said...

Who's eardrum? Are they now half deaf like their mother?

Astrid Rose said...

Dex's and no.

Brato said...

"never realized my way of parenting was Commie-style. Neat."

you have to enforce it, of course.