Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Parenting Milestone #9: March Break

Secret visitors from a secret land. Aka: my other sister et al.

The future always takes me by surprise. Surprise! It's March Break! Most kids, normal kids, everyone else's kids, go to camps and trips and have "organized" experiences during their march breaks. This was my conversation with Dex:

Me: So! how about a circus camp?* You'll learn tricks!!
Dex: ah, no.
Me: Hockey! what about a hockey camp? Or a soccer camp?
Dex: I'm not really into organized sports.
Me: Swimming lessons? How about learning to swim?
Dex: How about some other time? I already know how to swim anyway...
Me: Well, using life jackets doesn't really count dude.  
Dex: How about just playing? At home. I think that'd be fun.
Me: sigh. You're wasting your youth child.

So instead they come to work with me and we do "Fun Things" like buy donuts and play in large atriums with garbage, get muddy in the park, explore buildings and places we should not be and take different "secret" routes to school and back again. And the kids say "This is awesome!" and "Sweeeeet." How does it get any better than this?

__________________
*Screw you guys! A circus camp sounds incredible!

No comments: