Sunday, November 4, 2007

Top 10

10 things I love about being a PhD student:

1. I never know what I'm doing. Pro: I'm always learning something new. Con: I'm always trying to figure it all out. It's never the same and I'm constantly pushing my brain to it's limits.

2. My schedule is my own. There is no punch-clock. Although, I do eventually have to get the work done.

3. Creativity: Dreaming up hypotheses, designing experimental designs, seeing if it works and then writing about it all. Wheeeeee!

4. Working with dangerous stuff: chemicals, equipment, massive amounts of magnetic fields. I think I actually accidentally ate radiation once (have I mentioned I'm not all that careful?).

5. Getting to say "yeah, I'm a neuroscientist" and seeing people go "wtf?"

6. Living in the world of ideas and getting excited over ideas with other people. It's like having sex without all the sex.

7. Playing at the edge of knowledge.

8. Taking coffee breaks with other grown-ups.

9. Belonging to a lab: experiencing group membership, being forced to hang out with new people (because you share the same space), being around youth (well, 20-something youth).

10. Getting to say the words "synthesis," "heuristic," and "caudate nucleus."

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Cool. I can dig that. Your list is similiar to why I love photography. Talking the tech lingo with my peeps IS almost as exciting as sex. I see it very much like science. There's never ONE answer. There's tons to experiment with and that means I'll never get bored with it. (boredom is death for me)

Astrid Rose said...

Yes, boredom is also the death for me. I love doing a million very different things at once and making my brain work. Problem solving and thinking in new and interesting ways is FUN.