Sunday, November 18, 2007

Parenting Milestone #4

My first born called me dumb. Not only did he say I was dumb but he wrote it. This was following a small reprimand for grabbing something from Lewis. On one hand I'm proud: Yay! My five-year-old is writing all on his own. On the other hand, well, I'm not so impressed.

I've been waiting for the "I hate you" for some time now. I haven't heard it yet. But you know, I haven't been called dumb in longer than I can remember. It's almost worse coming from a child. Don't get me wrong, it didn't hurt my feelings. What it did do was spark a conversation on how one should handle their anger (i.e., not with name calling).

The result: he scratched out his "mom is dum" and replaced it with "mom is great." That's right son.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Not only can they now have temper tantrums to express their feelings, they can now write about it too - is this what school is teaching our kids?!
If it makes you feel any better, my sister-in-law told me her son called her 'the worst mum in the world' b/c she told him it was time for bed, and he wanted to continue playing with his older cousins. It's only going to get better Em. :)