Friday, December 5, 2008

Tell Me: #15

What should I do (please, I have absolutely no drive to decide on my own):
 
Real tree versus Fake tree?

Real tree pros: it's real and smelly and it's realness is its fun-ness cause it's real fun to have a tree that's real. And fun. And disposably fun and real-ly disposable. 

Fake tree pros: it's fake and it's clean and it's not real so imaginary? Like santa: so, in the spirit?  meh. But it's clean and plastic-y and plastic-y clean and storable and reusable. 

Someone told me they hate people like me (or potential future me), who buy fake christmas trees. So there is also THAT to consider. 

Note to all four yous: we used to have a little living tree as our xmas tree until I neglected it to death last year. (Asshole score: 6/10). 

5 comments:

Heather said...

I am having the same conundrum. They say that having a fake tree is more environmental because it is reusable for all your life and the life of your children and their children and so on and so forth. And a real tree has to grow for years just so you can have someone hack it down and then decorate it with glittery stuff.

We have a miniature white self-lit (as in the lights are in the needles)tree than we've had since we moved to STL. It only has 10 ornaments and they are all the same. It takes 14 seconds to put up and 52 seconds to put away. I think I might just do that this year.

Kristen said...

I'm not one for cutting down trees. But I look at it this way...tree farms exist for one reason, so they can be cut and put in your home, otherwise the trees grow too big and crowd each other out.
However, it's seeing trees sit on the curb with the trash that destroys me. I can't handle that sight. So sorry, I guess I wasn't much help!

Redhoon said...

My hubby has allergies (sometimes) to pine trees, so it's fake trees all the way. I look at it this way: they come pre-lit, I can even get a freakishly tacky white one (and I did), and I can put it up whenever I can get it out of the garage, rather than having to schlep to a store, etc., etc.

Plus, with toddlers, is another fire hazard a really good idea?

Kate said...

I vote real. They say that the stuff the fakes are made out of is bad news, and so it's not really environmentally better to buy one, b/c like the prior commenter said, yes, you've hacked down a real tree, but it was planted for this purpose (and at least for a while, benefited the earth, right?). I've heard there are organic trees which are best, or living trees, but I don't know where to find those and imagine they'd cost a small fortune, so for me, it's still real trees.
P.S. Sorry if it is weird that I am commenting on your blog b/c I don't know you! I ended up here by clicking from one blog to the next and so on...

Kate said...

I just re-read my comment and realized it looks like I think an organic tree or a live tree is not also a real tree. Um, you know that's not what I meant, right? I just meant I bought the basic, garden variety real tree.