Saturday, January 10, 2009

Parenting Milestone #8: Chin split.

Rolled into the house to be greeted by Lew covered in blood. The In-Charge parent was making dinner (YAY In-Charge parent) when Lew split his chin in an unseen fall (he falls at least 400 times a day, no lie). It was fairly deep and very long: like an inch (that's for all you Americans out there). We live next to the hospital. But it was cold, and it was dinner-time. And someone else had cooked it. I really did not feel like going to the ER. Even if it's free (try not to be jealous).

This kid Can Not keep anything on his body (he's a picker) so bandages/steri-strips are useless and I'm certain he would pick out stitches. I thought the ER would be a pointless venture, quickly undone. So in an effort to save the day, I decided to do a little DIY home first aide.

Step one: don't make it worse. So I called my friend the plastic-surgeon, told her I was going to the drug store for super-glue and what did she think of my plan? She told me to call if I had any concerns. Me? Concerns? Let's just say, he's going to have a scar. Trying to super-glue a 2.5 year-old's face back together is like trying to build a paper model with wet noddles for fingers. In the end we just let it scab over. This child WILL have battle scars from his youth. That is certain.

3 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

If ever a post deserved pictures...

He and Lila can form a scarred face club.

Kristen said...

I have a mental picture of you super gluing lew's chin. it's a good one.

Heather said...

We almost had a super glue incident tonight, Eliot was running and tripped chin-first into one of the plastic stools at his little kid table. I was so afraid of what I was going to see when I picked him up. Fortunately, he'll just have a majorly wicked bruise.