Saturday, September 1, 2007

R.I.P. Red Blankie: 2004-2007




Neville and Red Blankie

This is a sad day. We lost Neville's Red Blankie.

This is what we think happened: we stopped at Value Village (gigantic re-sale store) on the way home from the cottage. Neville took Red Blankie in (I'm very slowly learning that taking things into stores is a bad idea). At some point, I grabbed Red Blankie thinking "I'll just carry it for safe keeping." Well, I must have absentmindedly (shocker) put it down. All we know, is that it didn't return to the car with us. Of course, we didn't realize our loss until we got ALL the way home, meaning, onto the island. Once we noticed the missing party, we called the store and Duncan went ALL the way back to VV (a two hour round trip). That's true fatherly love right there. But trying to find one small red blankie in a gigantic store with loads of used cloth items is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Totally impossible.

I'm definitely more upset about this than Neville is (I'm actually crying!). For the last three years, I have protected and looked out for Red Blankie like it was my child. Besides Duncan and I, Red Blankie was Neville's Most Loved (I'm assuming he loved us more but I suspect I'm wrong). Every sadness, sickness, hurt, fall into sleep, adventure, meal, car ride, EVERYTHING, was done with Red Blankie by his side.

The true impact of losing blankie is yet to be seen and I'm wondering if there will be lots of heartache over the next few days. I think I'm also going to return to VV with hopes that they will have priced and put blankie on the floor to sell. But it could be a race against time as Tuesday is the big 50% off sale. Tuesday is also my first day of school. All the makings for crazy.
Update:

I went to VV today on the off chance that I would be able to spot Red Blankie, thinking that it was likely hung-up in the baby blanket section. Low and behold, there was Red Blankie! Saved before sale day. I can't imagine anyone would buy it, given how it smells. I was so happy, I think I even kissed it (that's when I realized how badly it needs to be washed). I felt like a super hero when I showed up at home, Red Blankie in hand. Neville welcomed his Blankie with squeals of delight, a long cuddle, lunch and a nap. Ahhhh.

Reunited

4 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

As someone who slept with her Special Blankie until the day before college, I feel your pain. That said, I almost choked when I got to the part about the half off sale. What a plot twist!

Don't lose hope yet!

Heather said...

I was so glad to read the italics at the end of this post. I was really hoping there was going to be a happy ending. You are a superhero!

Me? A Mom? said...

Yeah Red Blankie!

Kristen said...

I have personal experience with this red blankie!

I used to wear a bright pink blanket on my head when I was kid b/c I desperately wanted long hair and this filled that order for me. I would even wear it out of the house much to the chagrin of my mother.
You bet I still have it!